7TRP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Mandalorian72's Guide To CoD4 Etiquette

Mandalorian72
    Mandalorian72
    Squadron Sergeant Major - Moderator

Mandalorian72's Guide To CoD4 Etiquette Empty Mandalorian72's Guide To CoD4 Etiquette

Post by Mandalorian72 Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:31 pm

This guide is being written to teach you what to do and what not to do when playing COD4 online, in other words, how to appear to not be a n00b, even if you are a n00b.  The format of this guide will alternate between Do Not's & Do's to prevent it from seeming overly negative.

Do Not play music in the background while you are playing COD4 online.  Not only will you be an asshole, but other people will drop out of the game specifically because you are being an asshole.  When we are playing the game, we want to play the game, not listen to your music.  If we wanted to listen to music, we would not be playing COD4.  If you are playing the game, with such an asshole, you can press select (PS3) and mute said asshole.  The muting will only work in the current match and you will be forced to listen to said asshole when in the game lobby.

Do communicate with your teammates.  Use your headset to let your teammates know where enemies are.  Be as descriptive as you can (ex. on Backlot, the enemy is upstairs in the small building in the corner with the mounted machine gun, or on Crash, the enemy is on the second floor of the three-story building).  You can also reference spawn points, bomb targets, headquarters locations, etc., but people playing an unfamiliar game type may not know what you are talking about, so it is best to use physical landmarks as the clues.  Tell them when an enemy is using a particular "dirty" perk, such as Martyrdom, Juggernaut or Last Stand.

Do Not resort to using racial slurs or profanity just for the sake of profanity.  Too many times, I have been in games with people that feel the need to swear at everyone on the team.  All it does, is make you sound like an uneducated fool.  Everyone playing the game has a different amount of skill, so swearing at them is not going to change things.  Telling someone in the lobby that they suck, or that they are a n00b is completely acceptable.  Swearing because you got killed is completely acceptable as well.

Do encourage your teammates and help them out if they need it.  If you die in S&D, do not bad mouth the last man standing if they fail to plant or diffuse the bomb.  Obviously, they lasted longer than you did and should be commended that they did so.  Do, however, give them tips on how to complete the needed task.  A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, much like a team is only as good as it's worst player.  If you are very good, then help your teammates to become better.  Everyone is happier when they win.  If your encouragement and tips help your teammate, then that should feel pretty good too.

Do Not give away the location of your team's snipers, ghosts or stealth players by blindly firing a mounted machine gun or LMG while being nearby said sniper, ghost or stealth players.  If the kill cam gives away their location, then so be it, but do not be the reason why they die.  Snipers, ghosts & stealth players do not want to be found.

Do let your teammates know who killed you.  This can be helpful in preventing long kill streaks by the opposing team.  If a name keeps coming up, then you can guess that they are getting close to cashing in that air strike or chopper and you better be sure that you can take them down before they do so.

Do Not push the respawn button when killed by or during an air strike if all 3 waves have not yet passed.  Doing so, will likely place you in the middle of the next wave of the air strike and earn the enemy a chopper, which may lead to your team losing the match.

Do camp if you are doing badly.  There is absolutely no reason why you need to die 20 times in a match.  You can single-handedly cost your team a victory by being a bone-head.  If you are getting twice as many deaths as kills, then you should start camping to try and even out your K/D ratio for the match.

Do Not answer the telephone with your headset turned on.  If we want to hear you talk on the phone, we will give you a call.  Have a little courtesy for the rest of the players.  If the phone starts to ring, immediately turn off your headset and answer the phone if you wish, or, better yet, ask someone else in the house to answer it in a different room.

Do ask your teammates if they have a UAV, if you have an air strike.  Also, watch the movement of the enemy before calling in the air strike.  Calling in your air strike to the wrong location at the wrong time may cost your team a victory.  See ]Rabbit's Guide To Airstrikes for specific information.
    http://www.cod4central.com/forums/cod4-guides/rabbit's-guide-to-airstrikes/
    you have to copy the entire link because of coding issues with this site

Do Not eat with your headset turned on.  Everyone will forgive you if you turn off your headset to munch on some chips.  It is rude for you to force everyone else to listen to you crunch, munch & smack your lips when eating with your headset turned on.

Do tell your teammates who you killed.  It is especially funny if that same person comes back repeatedly, only to get their ass handed to them yet again.  Funny is good.

Do Not drop out of a game without checking to see if you are the host.  On PS3, press select and check to see who has the most green bars.  If it is you, then you are likely the host.  Nothing sucks worse than being well on your way to breaking your best kill streak, and then having the host drop out and costing you the opportunity.  If you are the host, please wait until the match is finished before dropping out.  If your team is getting it's collective asses handed to them, wait it out and camp if you need to avoid messing up your K/D ratio.

Do tea-bag the enemy.  Again, funny is good.  Just make sure the enemy does not have Martyrdom as one of their perks.  See Crunchy's guide for how to do Proper Teabagging.
    http://www.cod4central.com/forums/cod4-guides/crunchy's-guide-to-classified-super-awesome-advanced-lol-tactics/
    you have to copy the entire link because of coding issues with this site

Do Not Team-Kill (TK).  Team-Killing is very very bad.  Nothing pisses off a person more than getting killed by a member of their own team.  Especially, if it is done intentionally.  There is absolutely no reason why you need to have Martyrdom as one of your perks when playing Hardcore modes.  If you play hardcore, let your teammates know when and where you are calling in an air strike, so that they can seek shelter or get the hell out of the way.  Team-Killing is not funny.  Not funny is not good.  If you have a Team-Killer on your team, let everyone know who it is.  For the rest of the match, everyone should purposely kill the Team-Killer because that person deserves every bit of it.  The Team-Killer will likely leave the game.

Do be courteous of your teammates.  It is as simple as staying out of doorways when someone is trying to get through.  I have died numerous times because some idiot was blocking a doorway when I was trying to get through and an enemy tossed in a grenade or lit us up like christmas trees with whatever weapon they were carrying at the time. Also, staying out of the way of a sniper trying to take out an enemy is a good idea.  If one of your teammates asks you to move or does the knife attack to you, chances are, you are in their way.

Do not be afraid of being to passive or aggressive in a match.  The way that the opponent is playing should determine how you should play.  If the enemy is camping, you can do one of two things.  You can go get them, or you can stay away.  If the keep killing you, then definitely the "stay away" part is what you should do.  If the enemy is overly aggressive, then you can also use that to your advantage by camping, sniping or flanking.

Do Have Fun

Do Not be a n00b, or at least, do not appear to be a n00b, by following these simple rules.

Do read every guide that is written.  Apply it all as you see fit.

Please, let me know if I missed something or made a mistake.

EDIT

I have color coded the guide and added some more tips.  Green means to Go ahead and do what is listed.  Red means Stop, or Do Not do what is listed because it either annoys the hell out of your teammates and should not be tolerated, or it is just foolish.

NEW STUFF

Do Not spam invites. If you see that a friend is on, it is perfectly fine to send them an invite or two. If they are in the middle of a match, they will see your invite when they change their class or pause the game. It is incredibly annoying to have to keep on saying no to invites if you are in the middle of a match. This can adversely affect your team's ability to win the match. It is a better practice to send a message that says "Invite When Ready". This will tell the person that you would like to join in the n00b slaughterfest and are eager to hook up with some fellow 7TRP brethren. Take a look at your classes, stats or challenges while you wait. If it is taking too long, then go ahead and play solo while you wait for an invite.

Do help the team complete the objectives when playing an objective based game. Nothing is more annoying than trying to plant a bomb without a little cover fire. You do not have to be the one that is actually doing the planting, but it sucks when you are trying to help your team win and somebody is hiding on the other side of the map, just worrying about their K/D ratio. If the team is moving in a pack, if one guy gets shot, there are others that are right there to avenge your death. The objective games require a team effort to pull out a victory most of the time. If you are staying out of the action and just padding your stats, you might as well be playing Cage Match for headshots with all of the other 12 year olds. Team Deathmatch is for K/D ratio. Objective based games are for playing as a team. Guarding the site where your team is supposed to plant the bomb is acceptable. Clearing out enemy campers that are guarding what we are trying to take or destroy is also acceptable. Hiding in a cave and talking to your precious, like Smeagol is not. We play to win and we play aggressive. Help your team capture flags when playing Domination. When playing Sabotage, plant the bomb or clear the way for the person that is doing it. When playing with the clan, the most important stat is Wins. I would happily die a little more if it means we win. Granted, I like having a positive K/D ratio as well, but the win should be everyone's goal. You can easily earn an airstrike or chopper while helping achieve the objective. It is frowned upon for anyone to be worried more about their own personal stats than they do about the team victory. If you go 30-3 in a match, but we lose, then you did not do enough to help the team win. If you go 0-5, but plant the bomb and we win, then you did a great service to the team.

Do Not invite people into the lobby that are not in the clan when we are having a clan practice or clan battle. When we are practicing, it is with the clan. We are practicing for a reason. If you feel the need to play with other people, then leave the practice and go do so. When we are in a clan battle, the only people that should be in the lobby are members of the two clans. Failure to heed this rule can result in getting kicked from the clan permanently. When playing at other times, it is up to the host, if he will allow non-clan members into the lobby.

Do follow the rules set out by the host when we are having a practice match. If the host says that it is a pistols only match, then that means that you must use a pistol. If we are having a no-scope match, then that means you should use one of the bolt action sniper rifles. It is not fun to play with people that are constantly breaking the rules. If you do not fully understand the rules before the match starts, then make sure to ask questions, either over the mic or in the text chat. If someone joins late, then make sure that they are told the rules.

Last edited by Mandalorian72 on Sun May 10, 2009 6:28 am; edited 4 times in total
    Freethy
    Freethy

Mandalorian72's Guide To CoD4 Etiquette Empty Re: Mandalorian72's Guide To CoD4 Etiquette

Post by Freethy Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:50 pm

Awesome as usual Mando

+7TE

Mandalorian72's Guide To CoD4 Etiquette Empty Re: Mandalorian72's Guide To CoD4 Etiquette

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:52 pm

Nice Guide +7E

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Good job Mando man! Mandalorian72's Guide To CoD4 Etiquette 85635
    DanBond007
    DanBond007
    Officer Commander - Administrator

Post by DanBond007 Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:10 pm

This is the best Guide ever, and so needed. Everyone should look and absorb this information

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:30 pm

really good mando

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:32 pm

DanBond007 wrote:This is the best Guide ever, and so needed. Everyone should look and absorb this information

Absorbed

The only thing I violate on this list is when I get near a bag of SunChips or Gold Fish
    Mandalorian72
    Mandalorian72

Post by Mandalorian72 Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:44 pm

I added a couple more tips at the bottom. Please read these, as they are very important when playing with the clan.

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Mando is gonna have over 100 7E by the time May is over!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:10 pm

By 12 year olds he means Ducky Very Happy

JK EARL YOUR COOL

Post by Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:28 pm

as always mando great guide

Post by Guest Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:04 am

Mando,
    on the subject of sweraing it says it's ok when you get killed. I'm hoping that's right as I get a bit touretty when I get shot some times.

Also guidance please. This morning (last night if you are in the US). I was playing sabo with Mill, Hurcules and Ramrod on wetwork. We go the bomb to the target but there was a lot of sniping from the walkway in front of the fo'castle, so I backed up a little with my drag and countersniped them. When it's clear should I push up for the plant or keep covering ?

cheers
    DanBond007
    DanBond007

Post by DanBond007 Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:23 am

mindlesstedium wrote:Mando,
    on the subject of sweraing it says it's ok when you get killed. I'm hoping that's right as I get a bit touretty when I get shot some times.

Also guidance please. This morning (last night if you are in the US). I was playing sabo with Mill, Hurcules and Ramrod on wetwork. We go the bomb to the target but there was a lot of sniping from the walkway in front of the fo'castle, so I backed up a little with my drag and countersniped them. When it's clear should I push up for the plant or keep covering ?

cheers

That is a clear service for the team, so its absolutely fine. If you just stayed on the other side of the map 'sniping' but in reality doing nothing, then thats a clear violation and should be punished by a torrent of abuse from Mill.
    Mandalorian72
    Mandalorian72

Post by Mandalorian72 Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:30 am

mindlesstedium wrote:Mando,

cheers
    If you know for a fact that the other team has snipers, then it is definitely OK to take them out. You should be close enough to support your team, no matter what weapon you are using. Snipers should never be the ones that are planting, but it is a good idea for them to be in a position where they can see an area that overlooks the site where your team is trying to plant. What you did was acceptable. If you were back at the other end of the map, it would not have been for the benefit of the team.
    Millratt
    Millratt

Post by Millratt Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Very nice Mando..Very well done.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:32 am